Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Taste of Switzerland with a Touch of Scotland

Some of you may know (and others are about to know) that I have spent the last two weeks doing some traveling around Switzerland and Scotland with one of my sisters, Anna. We had a blast and saw some amazing things. While the sights were spectacular and the culture a thing to experience, I learned far more about patience and adaptation than expected during these past two weeks. A word of advice - never spend two weeks straight with only one person unless you really, really love that person. Anna and I enjoyed our time together, but I feel that we both were ready when her flight took off this morning. She was an excellent travel partner and most other people I could not have been able to live with for that long in a room that I can almost reach across. And that's that.

But Anna was by no means the biggest test of patience during these past two weeks. From missed buses to diverted flights to walking onto the flight and seeing only half a seat at most because a man felt he only needed to purchase one ticket, it was one test after another. Barely catching flights and buses - and barely missing some - made sleeping on the floor of my dorm room for the last week so Anna could have the bed be a joy because at least then I could relax. Through all that we were able to enjoy and make the best of things:


Whether in something so small as a chocolate bar for energy or unexpectedly running into a friend while lost in Geneva, God showed us how much He watches over every area of life. Our mini Europe tour was more enjoyable than I made it sound, and I have memories that will be with me for my whole life. I certainly have learned how to get around on public transportation. And I have realized my weaknesses more than ever before. Thank goodness for those around us who will love us through all that and help us get back up and grow. "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." And onward we go. Welcome to Glasgow.

1 comment: