Sunday, November 6, 2011

Scottish Vacation Home?

     Being in another country has adjusted my focus significantly. Classes are of little importance to me while I am here. Essentially, I want to pass. I am not here to learn a bunch in the classroom. I can do that anywhere. So I take the opportunities when they come to experience what I can of Scotland. This past Tuesday, my adopted family from the church I have been attending offered to take me up to their cottage for the day. I obviously said yes because the only commitment I had during the day was class. No regrets here - it was a phenomenal decision.

     Their cottage is located on Loch Fyne, which is a salt water lake on the west coast. Here's a taste:


     Sometimes you see places and you never want to stop looking at them and you never want to leave. That was me here. It was a place of unbelievable beauty. We stopped on the way to the cottage and got out to look over what I believe is called something like "The Valley of Rest and Peace." That is not exactly right, but it was a beautiful spot nonetheless:


I feel that even if that name is wrong, it fits. 

     After a little while longer driving, we arrived at the cottage. I could not believe how close it was to the water. High tide literally is up against the bottom of the cottage. The Munros - the family I was with - gave me a quick tour of the cottage and it was so nice. There is a sunroom right as you walk in the door that overlooks the lake, then a sitting room, kitchen, bathroom, and couple of bedrooms complete the downstairs. There was a ladder that went up to the attic that has been converted into a bedroom and it was great. It felt like the perfect adventure cabin or the perfect relaxing cottage, whichever you happen to be in the mood for. I got to sit in the sunroom for the afternoon and had a terrific view:


It is hard to see in this picture, but across the lake is an old ruined castle from the 14th century and hillsides full of fall colors. Over the course of just a few days I got to experience some amazing pieces of Scotland that are relatively untouched and so pretty. Someday, I would like to own a cottage right on the water. If it's in Scotland, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment