Monday, December 12, 2011

Make the Most of It

     The moments are rare it seems when a person has the privilege of watching someone do exactly what they were made to do. The confidence, authority and ease with which that person does whatever it is creates a sense that we do all live for a purpose and we all have the ability to fulfill that purpose. This past weekend I had just such an experience. Innes Macsween delivered two sermons on Sunday to two different congregations and it was evident in everything about his demeanor that he knew the pulpit is where he belongs.

     Some may be jealous at such an evident assurance of fulfillment and belonging, but I do not believe that is the correct response. Within each of us lies a purpose that can be carried out and established in our lives or ignored. The callings of some may bring them more money, more fame, more power, but if each person finds what it is they were made to do then the amount of fulfillment in life will all be equal. At the end of the day, I would trade all the money, fame and power in the world to feel satisfied with the work I had done. So if you haven't found it, keep searching; there is something you were made to do. As many have said, "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." At the risk of sounding like an inspirational poster, I will stop with that and tell you about some of the other events.

     The entire weekend was one of my favorite times here. We got to stay in a manse (minister's home) in a small village that does not currently have a minister, so the six of us had the whole house to ourselves. There was plenty of laughter, good food and overall good company. Even a crushing loss in Scrabble could not dampen the time. It is amazing how quickly a group can bond and have an incredible time together. Final goodbyes were in order for a few of us at the end of the weekend, and while not easy, I hope to be back to see the friends I have made in my time here. They have had more of an effect on me than I could ever show.

No comments:

Post a Comment